Women’s breasts go through many changes, from puberty to pregnancy to getting older. The loss of elasticity that comes with these changes makes it impossible to improve the appearance of your breasts through diet and exercise. Breast lift surgery (mastopexy) is an effective way for women who are unhappy with the drooping or “deflated” appearance of their breasts to restore a more youthful contour. Dr. Andrea Doyle, our board-certified plastic surgeon, specializes in breast surgery and understands firsthand how the breasts change over time.
If you are interested in a breast lift, please contact the Centre for Aesthetic + Reconstructive Surgery in Providence today at (401) 336-3770 to schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Doyle.
The Breast Lift Procedure
The breast lift procedure involves removing excess skin and repositioning breast tissue, including the areolas (nipples) to a youthful position. Dr. Doyle customizes each plastic surgery to suit your individual needs and answers your questions during your consultation. She will take careful consideration of your condition and determine the best approach for your breast lift surgery. Some women may benefit more from a breast augmentation with breast implants or fat transfer or a combination of both.
The procedure itself requires general anesthesia and typically involves an incision around the nipple areolar complex and from the nipple to the fold under the breast. Dr. Doyle will reshape the underlying breast tissue to provide a firmer look and feel, then remove the excess skin to lift the breasts.
Benefits of a Breast Lift
There are several benefits of a breast lift including:
- Firmer Breast Appearance: By repositioning the breast tissue, removing excess skin, and improving nipple placement, Dr. Doyle can give you a firmer look and feel, particularly for women who have some deflation due to volume loss.
- Nipple Improvements: A breast lift improves nipple placement to a more youthful position on the breast.
- Rise in Self Confidence: Deflated breasts can cause embarrassment and take on a completely different shape than you’re used to. A breast lift can improve the appearance of the breast in and out of clothing.
- Addresses Some Breast Irritation: Drooping, deflated, or sagging breasts sit low on the chest and can cause skin irritation such as bra chafing.
- Tuberous Breasts: A breast lift with implants can improve the shape and appearance of tuberous breasts.
Breast Lift Recovery
The breast lift is a surgery which requires general anesthesia. You will need a loved one available to drive you home following your procedure and to stay with you for the first 24 hours. Some women return to work one week after a breast lift while others may wait longer, depending on your profession. Jobs that require heavy lifting and strenuous activity should be avoided during the breast lift recovery process. Dr. Doyle is available to answer any questions or concerns you have during recovery.
You will notice your results immediately, though you will likely experience some bruising, swelling, and/or redness. You will need to wear a surgical bra or compression garment while you heal. Your final breast lift results should settle in within a few, short months. Your breasts will have a more youthful appearance that you can enjoy for many years to come.
Breast Lift vs. Breast Augmentation
Contact Our Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon in Rhode Island
If you’re interested in a breast lift or have questions about your breast surgery options, please contact the Centre for Aesthetic + Reconstructive Surgery in East Greenwich at (401) 336-3770 to schedule your consultation. Dr. Doyle and our experienced staff serve patients in surrounding areas of Providence, Rhode Island.